An evening with Sreesanth after his first match on return to cricket after seven years
By K.R. Nayar
A determined Shantakumaran Sreesanth is back to
prove that he is still the deadly swing bowler that the world had feared. As a
reporter, I have covered almost all his international matches and travelled
with him as well. We also share the same native language - Malayalam. So it was
special to interact with him virtually immediately after his first match and
listen to how he has worked out his plans to return to international cricket
| S. Sreesanth after his first match in seven years |
After seven long years, Shantakumaran Sreesanth played his first match for Kerala against Puducherry at Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy match on Monday. It was his return to cricket after a ban for his alleged role in the IPL spot-fixing scandal. Since his last match on May 9, 2013, for Rajasthan Royals against Kings XI Punjab at Mohali, he hadn’t played any matches. He swung the ball as brilliantly as he used to in international cricket and clean bowled Puducherry’s opening batsman Fabid Ahmed.
Sreesanth is back with a motto: “Never give up” The interaction with Sreesanth, who was invited as chief guest for the National Youth Day celebrations of the Lead College of Management in Kerala, lasted over an hour.
| S. Sreesanth during the virtual interaction from Mumbai |
During the interaction, he coined a quote and wanted my opinion on that. “I want to use all the stones that were thrown at me to build a door for selectors to knock. Failure should not be a fear, but an experience,” he said. I responded by reminding him that in one of my interviews with the legendary South African pacer Allan Donald, he had remarked that "Sreesanth is the finest swing bowler in the world", and that he can prove that again.
Sreesanth then explained his feelings and happenings after his first match for Kerala. “It was special. I received a lot of positive messages. The one thing I've learned is that at the end of the day whatever happens in your life never give up, and that is my motto. I strongly believe that as long as we are breathing we should never give up. The way I look at life is to find your goal and make sure to put your heart and soul into it.”
Sreesanth then emphatically revealed his goal. “My goal is to play for the country again. On February 6, I will turn 38; but I have realised that cricket hasn’t changed much. It is about your fitness, and more than fitness the mind has to take control.”
In fact, there were many who had discouraged Sreesanth from making a comeback. “There were quite a few people who had reservations on me going back to cricket after being away from the game for seven years and that I am acting in movies too. Some even reminded me that Indian pacers like (Javagal) Srinath and Zaheer Khan retired at 34. It is here I was reminded of my Dad’s words and that is 'never to compare'.”
Sreesanth is of the opinion that in life one should keep on learning and talked about a promising Kerala pacer MD Nidheesh. “There is a new fast bowler from Kerala named Nidheesh. He took seven wickets against Punjab last year. I have never taken seven wickets in a Ranji Trophy or in Test cricket. Even though he is younger than me, when it comes to performing, he has been amazing. I am looking forward to learning from him. My Dad always reminds me that as long as one is willing to learn, nothing should matter. Age is just a number; with age comes maturity and responsibility. I am also keen to learn from my opponents, something that I had missed earlier. The only difference between the old and new me is that I have become a husband and a father. I have read a lot during these seven years, and now I share what I have learned through motivational talks. In fact, I learn a lot from those talks too.”
An interesting point that he mentioned was that he would learn from his past but would not live in the past. “Nobody should go through what I went through. I had many beautiful-hearted people out there who supported me during my tough times." Sreesanth added that he wasn't satisfied with his performance in the comeback match. "I am only 60 percent of what Sreesanth used to be once.”
He then went on to explain what it was to bowl the first over after seven years. “I told my captain Sanju (Samson) to set a field of his choice since I wanted to just soak in the feeling of bowling my first over. It took me a full over to realise that I was back bowling live in front of people watching from across the world and representing Kerala again, especially all the Malayalees who stood by me during my tough times. Seven years of my life were taken away. I cannot complain but only thank the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI )and the Kerala Cricket Association (KCA) to select me, especially my coach Tinu Yohannan, the selectors, and my captain.”
Sreesanth has also accepted the enormous pressure of expectations from his fans. “There are many asking whether I will be able to bowl the same way as I used to and whether I would show the same magic on the field. All I can say is that my best is yet to come.” Sreesanth's definition of PRIDE is Personal Responsibility in Delivering Excellence, a theory that he lives with now.
![]() |
| S Sreesanth is 13 wickets short of 100 Test wickets |
This right-arm pacer who is just 13 wickets short of 100 Test wickets and who has bagged 75 One Day International wickets believes that he will win a third World Cup for India. “The best revenge you can take is to get insane success on the field.”
One of the books that has influenced Sreesanth a lot is “Why Not You” written by Valorie Burton. "It all about building authentic confidence", he says. “I always carry this book with me now. I have realised that my biggest enemy is me. I used to complain, and make excuses to gain sympathy. But what is important is not to worry and keep competing and improving and be the best version of yourself. When you are at your best and following a proper schedule, you are bound to get a lot of confidence,” said Sreesanth, who sees himself winning the 2023 World Cup for India.
“In 2000, while writing an essay on 'what I wish to become five years from now' at school, I had mentioned that I would like to play for my country, and I did it. I hope I can do the same winning the 2023 World Cup.”
For Sreesanth, who rose from Kerala to scale great heights in international cricket, his determination is remarkable. The experience from his setback and his fresh approach to life with positivity could well carry him to his goal.


full support to SS for comeback and be part of fast bowling tank
ReplyDeleteYesterday It was an excellent speech that changed many minds
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written •••
ReplyDeleteHe really inspired us. Our prayers for his success. Blog is spot on sir!
ReplyDeleteAmazing determination! Watching him bowl and get a wicket was incredible and emotional.Wishing Sreesanth the very best!
ReplyDelete