Solkar’s approach towards taking tough catches is a life lesson

By K.R. Nayar

Forward short-leg is that fielding position which will always remind us of the late Eknath Solkar who pulled off some breath-taking catches from there. His view on taking tough catches can inspire people who give up their mission when the going gets tough. Solkar's determination was tough to beat.

Eknath Solkar's catches Alan Knott during India's historic win over England 

August 24, 1971, will remain an unforgettable day for Indian cricket fans. On this day, India recorded its first series win over England at the Oval ground. Most times, when this historic moment is mentioned, the picture depicting the victory is that of Eknath Solkar’s diving catch of England wicketkeeper Alan Knott off S.Venkataraghavan at forward short leg.

Solkar was one of the great cricketers whom I wanted to meet personally when I reached Mumbai to pursue a career in journalism. By the time I met him it was over a decade since he had retired from the game. During our first meeting I told him how, as a schoolboy, I'd prayed for him when he'd slowed down while he was in his nineties before recording his first and only Test century against the mighty West Indies in 1974. His reply touched me: “It is only because of the blessings of many cricket lovers that I became what I am. I am happy that I still remain in the hearts of many Indians."

Eknath Solkar's catches  Basil  D'Olivera out of the blue at Lord's in 1971

After our first meeting, when I was about to leave, he asked me: “When do we meet next?” I was surprised by this question because it is rare that a famous cricketer makes such a courteous query. Since mobile phones did not exist in those days, he gave me his residence number, and we met many times after that. In each of our meetings, I would ask him to share an incident from his cricketing career and he would patiently oblige me.

Once I travelled with him to Baroda (in Gujarat) by train for a Ranji Trophy match when he was one of the selectors for the Mumbai team. That was when he narrated his life story to me and how tough his life had been throughout. He was the son of a groundsman at the P.J. Hindu Gymkhana in Mumbai, and lived in a one-room living space with his five siblings and parents. 

Left-handed Eknath Solkar 

What I've always admired about Solkar was his guts to stand at forward short leg, waiting for that bat and pad catch. Those were the days when the helmet was not introduced. Every time someone mentions a fielder at the forward short leg position, the first name that comes to my mind is that of Solkar.  Solkar’s response to my query on how he took those flying catches is worth emulating. “Try hard and you can get them. Most of the catches I took were almost impossible. I've only tried hard and they yielded,” he said.  

So when people say that some tasks are impossible and that they do not know how to achieve it, I always give Solkar's example.

Eknath  Solkar catches Keith Fletcher at the Oval in 1971

His career is also an example of how despite coming from a very humble background one can make it to the Indian team. I also remember him telling me that he would have remained a groundsman as his father had it not been for Madhav Mantri, a former Indian wicketkeeper and maternal uncle of Sunil Gavaskar, who helped him out. Solkar used to bowl to Mantri at the Gymkhana nets, and seeing with his enthusiasm, Mantri helped him complete his schooling. Solkar then went on to captain the Indian schools' team.

Former England captain Tony Lewis gave Solkar the greatest compliment once while speaking at a function held at the Cricket Club of India (CCI). “It was tough to play the three great Indian spinners with this man (Solkar) hanging around as if he wanted to pick my back pocket.” Very few may recall that when India was shot out for 42 in the Lord’s Test in 1974, he was the only batsman to reach double figures and remain unbeaten on 18!  He once told me the story of how Australian skipper Bill Lawry presented him with his bat for taking his brilliant catch.

Towards the end, Solkar developed leucoderma, a skin disorder. A few years before his death he'd called me to find out if the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) would consider him as their coach. Unfortunately, ECB had already signed a contract with another coach.  Solkar’s death in 2005 at the age of 57 shocked me.

Though Solkar was addressed as ‘Mini Gary Sobers’ for his all-round skills, in the 1971 series against West Indies he is said to have told Sobers to 'mind his business'. During one of the Test matches, when the umpires changed the ball that went out of shape and picked another ball, Solkar requested the umpires to show him the ball that was chosen. This irritated skipper Sobers, who said: “‘What’s the point? You will play and miss anyway,” Solkar immediately retorted: “You play your game, we will play ours.”

That’s Solkar, who never feared to take close-in catches or bothered who his opponent was since his focus was to help India win. No wonder he was also called ‘Mr. Dependable’ for this very reason.  

 

Comments

  1. Wonderful story... It's like reliving those bygone days. The comment about picking the back pocket is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he was the most fearless fielder at forward short leg, that too without a helmet. Nice of you to have remembered him and revealed these interesting tit bits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UAE's veteran cricketer Freddy Sidhwa, at 81, plays at Lord's under Kevin Pietersen's captaincy

Legendary Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt and UAE-based businessman Sir Sohan Roy acquire Harare Hurricanes team in the Zim Afro T10 set to commence from July 20

A feast from Lanka Premier League 2023 for cricket fans in the MENA region, India, and subcontinent