Struggles of a cricketer whose son went on to become a world-renowned author
By K.R. Nayar
It was while reporting Sri Lankan pacer Lasith Malinga’s spell of four wickets
off successive balls in Guyana against South Africa in the 2007 World Cup and
doing a bit of research on deadly spells in cricket that I came across the name
Joseph Wells. He was the first bowler to take four wickets in four balls in a
first-class cricket match in 1862. What surprised me most was to know that
he was the father of the great author HG Wells. Here is an inspiring story of a
father’s struggles and his son’s rise to fame.

Joseph Wells
I think many of us would be familiar with the short stories written by the
famous English writer H.G.Wells. I first read his short stories as lessons in
our English textbook at school. His stories lit up my imagination and then I
went on to read some more of his works. But 'Time Machine' and 'Invisible
Man' were my favourites and I would enjoy reading them again and
again.
Little did I know then that his father Joseph Wells was a cricketer and was the
first bowler to take four wickets in four balls in a first-class cricket match!
In June 1862, he destroyed Kent’s batting line up by bagging six wickets for 35
runs, and four of those came off successive balls. He also took three wickets
in the second innings and gave Kent a 10-wicket win.
It was
while researching some of the great bowling spells in cricket during Sri
Lanka's match against South Africa in Guyana in the 2007 World Cup where Lasith
Malinga produced a similar feat that I happened to learn about Joseph being the
father of H.G. Wells. Malinga's spell in that match was one of the deadliest
that I had witnessed. However, South Africa won that match by one wicket.
Later on, I read more about Joseph and
realised that he'd struggled a lot in his life but had ensured that he backed
his son who went on to become one of the greatest writers of that era. Joseph's
struggles touched me. He is said to have worked as a domestic servant,
gardener, and a shop keeper despite being a professional cricketer. Those were
the days when even if one played professional cricket, remuneration was
irregular and even unreliable. Remuneration for talented bowlers and batsmen
depended on donations after the match or if the club where the match was held
paid them.

H.G. Wells's 'The Time Machine'
Coming back to Joseph's four-wicket deadly
spell, one of his four victims was Spencer Austen-Leigh. That name evoked some
curiosity in me and I decided to read a little more about him. Imagine my
surprise when I read that he was the great-nephew of author Jane Austen, whose
book Pride and Prejudice was also one of my English lessons at
school!
Joseph had four children and hence had to work
hard to earn a living. H.G. Wells was the fourth child. His wife also
worked as a domestic servant. As a shopkeeper, Joseph sold Chinese goods, but
since they were not new, it fetched him little money. But despite not having
enough income, he encouraged his children to read books. It was an accident in
1874 that became a turning point in young HG Wells’ life. He was bed-ridden for
many days with a broken leg and Joseph got him books to read from a nearby
library. This made him a voracious reader and he developed a desire to write.
In 1877, Joseph suffered a fractured thigh which put an end to his career as a
cricketer, and thus the income from the game too ended.
H.G. Wells
Since his parents were struggling to make ends
meet, H.G. Wells started working as an apprentice. It was an unhappy experience
for three years since he had to work 13 hours a day and sleep in a crowded
dormitory with other apprentices. It was this experience that was the
inspiration for his novel ‘The Wheels of Chance’.
Joseph died at the age of 82 in 1910, but he was
proud that his son had risen to become a renowned author who had even the great
Sir Winston Churchill, who went on to become the Prime Minister of
England, among his avid readers.
Good feature!
ReplyDelete