Meet Umesh Lagad, the scorer for the IPL at the Dubai International Stadium who wears a coach and an umpire’s hat too

 By K.R. Nayar

There are many whose life revolves around cricket. They wait for big matches to be a part of it and contribute in some way and derive immense joy out of the whole experience. Umesh Lagad, a scorer at the Dubai International Stadium is one such character. He wears other hats as a coach and an umpire too.

Umesh Lagad

If you want to know the score when Mahendra Singh Dhoni got out, all you need to do is to ask Umesh Lagad. Umesh will not only give you the score but he will also tell you how many minutes Dhoni stayed at the wicket, how many runs he'd scored, out of which how many were boundaries, and how many dot balls he'd played.  Umesh, as everyone addresses him, can give you details more than what you asked for about any player that he neatly fills up for every match in the score-sheet.  He has been the scorer at the Dubai International Stadium since 2013.

Umesh Lagad busy at work 

It's difficult to forget Umesh once you've met him. Short in stature with a clean shaved head, it's a joy to see him immersed in his act while scoring. He loves to consider his journey in cricket as special, just like an international cricketer. Speaking to cricketlovers.com he said: “I made my debut in scoring for international matches in the Pakistan-South Africa Test match here in 2013.” Ever since his debut, he has never missed any international or franchise leagues at the Dubai International Stadium.

Umesh Lagad in rapt attention 

Umesh’s life revolves around cricket. “Frankly, if not for cricket, I am not sure what I would have done. The game gives me everything and is my biggest joy,” he remarked.  He also coaches youngsters and does umpiring regularly.

“Before becoming a scorer, I used to work with the G Force Cricket Academy as a coach since 2012. At that time, the Asian Cricket Council announced classes for training as an umpire, which I attended regularly. I cleared their level-1 exam and now I officiate in domestic matches regularly.”

Umesh Lagad receives a trophy for his contribution as a coach from former Indian cricketer Aakash Chopra 

Umesh is well aware of the value of every ball and how important it is to focus on each delivery - be it umpiring or scoring. Since scoring happens only when matches are held, what does he do otherwise for a living? “I do umpiring and scoring, and sometimes coaching. I always pray for cricket to never stop in the UAE as it happened in many other countries due to the Covid pandemic,” he added.

Umesh Lagad with former Sri Lanka’s star cricketers Arjuna Ranatunga and Romesh Kaluwitharana 

Being a regular scorer for all international matches, legendary cricketers turned commentators meet him regularly. “I have always been surprised with their warmth when I have requested for a picture with them. I am so happy there is so much respect for what I do. I am thankful for all those who have given me opportunities to be a scorer or umpire and also invite me to coach youngsters,” said Umesh, who hails from a small village called Chikhli in Gujarat, India. A census in 2011 had revealed that this village had a population of only 7025 but a literacy rate of 84 percent! In 2012, Umesh came to Dubai after his brother-in-law Dipak Prabhakar Gadghe invited him here.

Umesh Lagad with legendary cricketers whom he meets during matches 

Umesh also umpires indoor cricket matches. “I feel so happy when I look back. I have done scoring for all Test matches and One Day Internationals and T20 matches played in Dubai. I have also done scoring for the Pakistan Super League and all the Indian Premier League matches so far in Dubai. As an umpire, I was fortunate to umpire in a four-day match between Afghanistan-Kenya,” added Umesh.

 “I am happy when people appreciate me for my role in cricket. Whatever I do,  I do it with devotion and enjoy serving the game,” he remarked before returning to his scorebook.


Comments

  1. You deserve everything you've achieved.You are living your dream. May all your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gr8 Proud of you Umeshmam
    Shailesh Savant
    Baroda , Gujarat.
    India.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UAE's veteran cricketer Freddy Sidhwa, at 81, plays at Lord's under Kevin Pietersen's captaincy

Legendary Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt and UAE-based businessman Sir Sohan Roy acquire Harare Hurricanes team in the Zim Afro T10 set to commence from July 20

A feast from Lanka Premier League 2023 for cricket fans in the MENA region, India, and subcontinent