Namibia’s joy after beating Ireland, a Test playing country, and what followed after the winning shot
By K.R. Nayar
Watching
the joy of a non-Test playing nation beating a Test nation is a delightful
sight. Namibia created history at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium
beating Ireland to qualify for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 Super 12 stage
in their very first appearance in the tournament. There were interesting scenes
after the triumph.
David Wiese. Photo ICC
Soon
after David Wiese hit the winning boundary and remained unbeaten with a timely
28 off 14 balls, their players and support staff went ecstatic. They rushed out
hugging each other and everyone stood and waved at the few supporters who were
cheering for them from the top of their voice from the pavilion.
My
captain should have been man of the match
Captain
Gerhard Erasmus had remained unbeaten with a valuable 53 but was not named the
man of the match. He did not seem concerned about it since the joy of his team
making it to the Super 12 was more than anything else. But Wiese
thought otherwise. After receiving the man of the match, Wiese said: “I
don't think I deserve to be sitting here. I think the captain Gerhard Erasmus
deserves to be Man of the Match. This is really his moment and the rest of the
team has put in so much work before now to be here.”
Small country with very few cricketers
Namibia’s
victory is also a victory for the many associate countries who are all working
hard to qualify to play against the top Test nations. Comments from
captain Erasmus were filled with emotion and the crowd went on
to clap when he said: “We a small country, and small number
of people play cricket. We should be proud of ourselves. I count on my senior
men to stand up when the pressure is on. And two of us did it tonight.
Hopefully we can do it through the tournament. Hasn't sunk in yet, maybe on the
way home."
Joy
of a nation
When
the happy Namibia coach Pierre De Bruyn came for the post
match press conference, I asked him about how he had planned this victory and
what would be the impact of this victory in his country. He spoke about the
impact first before revealing how he planned the win. “I can imagine what's
going on in Namibia right now. It is a Friday afternoon there, so they'll be
ecstatic. It will be a late night for the supporters back home.”
Pierre De Bruyn. Photo ICC
Talking about the planning, he said, “It was all calm planning for us. If you
look at this surface here and the conditions, it actually suits us. That's what
we get back home. We had a solid game plan. We made sure that we stuck to it.
It was quite simple: Don't leave the stumps, play straight and take it deep.”
He also revealed where Ireland went wrong. “I think where Ireland got it wrong
was after that devastating powerplay, the next four overs, 16 for 2, they fell
asleep. We just knew that we needed to take it deep, rotate hard. We ran much
better between the wickets. So yeah, the planning for me was something that we
discussed and also the opposition analysis.”
The most touching aspect of his comments was when he mentioned that he has only
18 players to look upto. “We're not an organisation with the luxury of a lot of
resources around us. I've got 18 players to pick from in my national squad. And
I know what they've put in the last three years, and what happened out there
today was, I suppose it sounds like a cliche, that the hard work has paid off,
but it certainly did, and I'm really ecstatic for the boys.”
Namibia bt
Ireland at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah by eight wickets
Ireland 125/8 in 20 overs (Paul Stirling 38, Kevin O’Brien 25;
Jan Frylinck 3/21, David Wiese 2/22)
Namibia 126/2 in 18.3 overs (Gerhard Erasmus 54 not out, David Wiese 28 not
out; Curtis Campher 2/14)
Player of the Match: David Wiese (Namibia)
Comments
Post a Comment