Memories of umpire Anil who did nothing else but serve cricket

By K.R. Nayar

S. Anil Kumar, who passed away yesterday, was a reputed umpire for the Kerala Cricket Association and was the soul of the Keshavashire Cricket Club. He was very dear to me, and his memories will forever be etched in my mind. We started bonding from the days he was a schoolboy.


S. Anil Kumar ... Rest in Peace

During my post- graduation days, my family lived in a rented place owned by Anil's grandfather. Anil used to live in the neighbouring house. That was the time I was very active as a cricketer and an organizer, serving as the joint secretary of the Trivandrum District Cricket Association. Very often I would spot him standing close to our fence and watch me going to play with my bat and pads. Although Anil wasn't into cricket, he would share stories with me of him winning the 100m dash in his school. He was part of the NCC at School and College and I remember seeing him return from his drills wearing a cap and uniform.

 

Anil Kumar's as a NCC cadet 

Back then, cricket was hardly a career choice for most people. So Anil was curious about my passion for the game and the time I spent playing, listening to cricket commentary, and reading about it since not every home had a television. I never missed buying sports magazines, and Anil would often come home and read them all. Slowly he developed a liking for cricket, and like me, the game became a part of his life. Little did I imagine that I would become a cricket writer, and Anil didn't anticipate that cricket would be a lifelong pursuit for him.

 

With Anil Kumar and other officials at KCA

As days went by, Anil started accompanying me to the cricket grounds and to the Kerala Cricket Association (KCA) office at any time of the day. He would take a ride with me, initially on my bicycle and later on my TVS50 scooter. In those days, the KCA office was a small place close to the Trivandrum Museum, and Anil would often help me with filing documents and reports from different districts. His enthusiasm to support the game was evident, and I realized that love for cricket is contagious. During international matches organized by the KCA, Anil would work tirelessly late into the night, just like any other top official.

 

Kerala's  former state cricketers present Anil Kumar a cash award for 35 years of umpiring.  

During those days, we played cricket every evening, initially at the St. Mary's School ground and later at the MG College ground. Eventually, we decided to form a club. Anil wholeheartedly supported my idea of naming the club Keshavashire, inspired by Lancashire and Yorkshire, since we lived in Kesavadasapuram. Little did I know that Anil would ensure the longevity of this club for decades, becoming its heartbeat after I left for Mumbai to pursue my dream of becoming a cricket writer.

 

Anil Kumar scaled heights to also interact with MS Dhoni as an official 

As a Kerala State umpire, I would regularly officiate matches, and Anil would accompany me and wait till I finished before returning home together. He was always there for anything and everything. When I wrote and directed a play for the community where we lived (Jyothi Nagar), Anil readily acted in it, provided inputs, and also helped in setting up the stage. I remember going to watch many movies together. When I left for Mumbai, Anil was very sad and I saw tears in his eyes. He was a true embodiment of affection, and I knew I was leaving behind someone who was a genuine human being.

 

Anil Kumar rose to become a speaker who could motivate youngsters 

Anil soon qualified himself as an umpired and was very thrilled to share the news with me. He loved being on the ground, and umpiring allowed him to immerse himself in cricket all the time. Recognizing his unwavering dedication, Kerala Cricket Association officials offered him a job, and he diligently fulfilled every assignment. He held positions that I had once occupied, and he would excitedly message me about becoming the chairman of the grounds and umpiring committee. In 2022, Kerala’s former state cricketers presented Anil Kumar a cash award for 35 years of umpiring. He thanked Kerala Ranji Trophy player S. Santosh whom he knew since his school days.  

 

Every Teachers Day he made it a point to greet me 

When his two daughters graduated with good grades, he made it a point to promptly inform me. Despite the distance between us, we kept in touch. Every year on Teachers Day, he would send me a message of gratitude, and I always responded expressing my pride in him.

 

Anil Kumar wanted me to wear the Keshavashire team jersey while addressing as the founder of the club 

Anil was a simple and humble man, always wearing a smile on his face. He was always helpful to everyone, and I have never heard him speak ill of anybody. I believed his name suited him well:  'Anil'  expands to 'Always Nice In Life.'

KCA's condolence meeting in Anil Kumar's memory

Unfortunately, cancer abruptly ended his life. But dear Anil, you will forever remain in my heart as a loving and sincere human being who served cricket passionately. Kerala Cricket Association's gesture of placing his mortal remains in their office before his final journey deserves a big salute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UAE's veteran cricketer Freddy Sidhwa, at 81, plays at Lord's under Kevin Pietersen's captaincy

A feast from Lanka Premier League 2023 for cricket fans in the MENA region, India, and subcontinent