End of Mumbai’s double decker and my days of double the decker of happiness and thril

By K.R. Nayar

Mumbai’s legendary double-decker BEST buses have now been taken off the streets. It’s a nostalgic feeling when I think of these buses that used to majestically stop for me to board from my bus-stop in Colaba where I lived during my early days in Mumbai when I was trying to find my feet in journalism. My first job was with the Links News Agency situated near Kemps Corner, and most of my commute then would be on these double-deckers that were common on this route. 

 

Mumbai's double-decker will now remain a nostalgic memory

Having come from Kerala where I was a somebody, to Mumbai where I felt like a nobody, this daily travel on a double- decker was always a joy. From the moment it stopped at the bus stop to let me in, it gave me a sense of importance. I often opted for the upper deck, and that would give me a sense of peace. Watching the hustle-bustle on the streets from the top, I was calmed by the cool breeze that brushed past me as the bus moved along. I felt like I was sailing smoothly, unaffected by everything happening around. 

 

Very often, a seat on the top reminded me of my childhood days. The first time I saw a double-decker was in Trivandrum, now known as Thiruvananthapuram, the capital of Kerala. Once in a while, my uncle would take my cousin and me to the Shankamugham beach. Both of us would rush to the top deck and race to the front seat as soon as we got into a double-decker bus. We would literally jump in joy sitting there and looking all around.

 

This habit of rushing to the front seat stuck with me for a long time. After I got married, I moved to the suburbs in Mumbai, a place called Versova. I had to travel by bus to the train station to get to work. Even then, I would rush to get the first seat on the top deck. I think, the sheer size and shape of a double decker always lets the child in you remain alive. The opportunity to peer into many homes while travelling on the top deck, which may not be possible normally, excited me. 

 


It was also great fun to see trees brush against the windows of the double-decker. Frankly, every time I traveled on a double-decker, I didn't want the journey to end.


In fact, one of my first toys was also a wooden double-decker. Although a very small one, in my mind, it was very big at that time. I distinctly remember images of Mumbai’s double- decker and the city’s other iconic structures like the Flora Fountain, Mumbai University, Victoria Terminus, etc. on biscuit tins that my relatives living in Mumbai would gift us on their annual visits. 

 


These grand old double-decker buses plied on the roads of Mumbai for 86 years. If a human lives for 85 years, it is said that they have seen a thousand moons, and many celebrate this milestone. So, let's be happy that Mumbai's double-deckers are among those that have lived beyond a thousand moons, and I bow in reverence to these majestic vehicles that will forever remain in the hearts of every Mumbaikar. 

Comments

  1. Bow, a big one ...and KR you rightly said about the kid coming alive, when you run to the upper deck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UAE's veteran cricketer Freddy Sidhwa, at 81, plays at Lord's under Kevin Pietersen's captaincy

Legendary Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt and UAE-based businessman Sir Sohan Roy acquire Harare Hurricanes team in the Zim Afro T10 set to commence from July 20

A feast from Lanka Premier League 2023 for cricket fans in the MENA region, India, and subcontinent