Shyam Bhatia honoured in front of 100,000 fans on the ground before the India-Pakistan match

By K.R. Nayar 
From Narendra Modi Stadium

 Ahmedabad.  Cricket enthusiast and UAE-based businessman Shyam Bhatia was given a huge honor by being invited to the ground before the start of the India-Pakistan match at the Narendra Modi stadium. For a cricket aficionado who has been serving the game by distributing cricket kits to underprivileged children around the world and presenting awards for outstanding performers in the UAE for two decades, it was a well-deserved honor.

 

Shyam Bhatia with the ICC World Cup trophy at the Narendra Modi Stadium.

Bhatia’s efforts to promote cricket are carried out in different ways.  He has built one of the best cricket museums in the world in his home in Dubai. It is filled with cricket history, and he also written a book titled 'Portraits of the Games' (three editions). 


Shyam Bhatia experiencing the Narendra Modi stadium atmosphere from the ground. 

To be invited to the arena of the biggest match of the World Cup and to pose with the World Cup will remain one of the greatest moments of his life. “I am thankful to DP World, one of the sponsors of the World Cup, for making this happen. I have never missed an India-Pakistan match or a World Cup since 1975. I don’t have words to appreciate this gesture. I serve the game and support cricket expecting nothing in return. So, to understand my passion and create a dream moment for me is special,” said an elated Bhatia, who watched the contest seated in the special International Cricket Council (ICC) Hospitality area.

 

Shyam Bhatia has watched all World Cup finals since 1975

Incidentally, the ICC has announced a long-term partnership with DP World, a leading provider of worldwide smart end-to-end supply chain logistics, as the ICC Global Logistics partners. “To stand in front of nearly 100,000 people before one of cricket’s biggest and most-watched matches confirms once again that cricket rewards those who love the game with passion and dedication.”

 

Bhatia feels that to get a seat for this match itself is considered special, and being able to walk into the ground and stand there when India’s national anthem is being played will remain etched in his mind forever.

 

When asked about how big it was to be in the centre, Bhatia said: “I have watched all of India’s World Cup triumphs in both formats of the game. I've been to all cricket stadiums in the world, but this stadium is something special. As you rightly said in one of your reports, this must be the only instance when over 100,000 people must have cheered for one team. You have to be in the middle to exactly experience that feel of so many people sitting all around you. It was like I was in the centre of India, and when the national anthem was played while standing in the center, I felt emotional. This will live on with me all my life.”

 

Bhatia had expected a closely fought India-Pakistan match. “I love cricket matches that are keenly fought. I am lucky that I have seen some of the great matches in the world and even celebrated winning moments with players.”

 

Shyam Bhatia with  journalists Vijay Tagore, G Viswanath, Gaurav Gupta and yours sincerely 

Later in the day, Bhatia was met by top Indian journalists, and he was happy to pose with them for a group picture. “My love and affection for journalists are special. I have read almost all books written by most of them. I regularly read all their reports and also file special ones in my library,” remarked Bhatia, who has a collection of newspaper clippings of great matches from the 1930s in his library.

 

A close friend to many legendary cricketers like Sunil Gavaskar and Clive Lloyd, Bhatia said: “I am happy that I have entered an international match ground on a match day like international cricketers, and that too at a historic stadium on a historic day of cricket." Bhatia will now fly to Lucknow to distribute cricket kits for underprivileged children before the India-England match.

Comments

  1. Such and honour is beyond words, Great Column and Give my salutes to Bhatiasaab and his endearing and selfless support to the game. Being the face of providing kits to the grassroot is ultimate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A 25kg cricket book and Ashwin’s 100th Test match ball at Shyam Bhatia’s museum

When Rahul Dravid responded to a very pertinent question from me on the World Cup