Is April Fool’s Day a fool’s day?

By K.R. Nayar

April 1st is considered as April Fool’s Day, a day of pranks followed by laughter; in short, a day unlike any other, where many funny things happen. Many prepare for some fun the day before to make it special. A lot of importance used to be given to this day while at school, and if one did not create at least a small incident to fool someone, then we would get the feeling that the day was not honoured. Of late, many don’t really care about this ritual.


Last year, a friend messaged me "Happy April Fool’s Day," as one would wish "Happy Valentine's Day" or "Happy New Year." Involuntarily, I thanked him and wished him the same. After that, I began to wonder whether he wished me so because he knew that someone had made a fool of me, or was he wishing me because if anyone fools me, let it be a happy one?


I have always wondered how businessmen accept cheques dated April 1. The guy who wrote the cheque could say that he did it just to fool him on April Fools’ Day. I wish I could issue a cheque dated April 1 to my landlord and tell him, “I am sorry, that cheque is an April Fool’s prank, and hence, no rent for this month!”

Ajit Wadekar 

I always send birthday wishes to cricketers whom I have closely interacted with. Former Indian captain and late Ajit Wadekar’s birthday is on April 1. Once, I was with him on this day and hesitatingly wished him a happy birthday. He realised why I was hesitant, and heartily acknowledged my wishes. Stephen Fleming, the ex-skipper of New Zealand, and now a coach, also celebrates his birthday on April 1. The interesting thing is that both Wadekar and Fleming were shrewd captains and coaches with barely any chance of being a fool in any way.


Incidentally, April Fool’s Day is considered the best day to propose to a girlfriend. It is said that if she accepts, it is your luck, and if not, you can escape by saying it was an April Fool joke.

Ricky Ponting 

I remember a funny incident in cricket that happened on April Fool’s Day in 2003. On March 23, I reported the final of the 2003 World Cup between India and Australia in Johannesburg. Australian skipper Ricky Ponting cracked a brilliant unbeaten 140, resulting in the Sourav Ganguly-led Indian team losing the final by 125 runs. After I returned to Dubai, while at the office on April 1, news spread that Ponting had used a bat that had springs fitted inside. If my memory serves me right, a television channel even put out that story. Frankly, considering the ease with which Ponting was hitting sixes in that World Cup, I too almost believed it, only to realise later that it was an April Fool's joke!

The great novelist Mark Twain once wrote: “This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are the rest 364 days.” I believe that April Fool’s Day is just to remind everyone that laughter is needed for happiness in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UAE's veteran cricketer Freddy Sidhwa, at 81, plays at Lord's under Kevin Pietersen's captaincy

Legendary Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt and UAE-based businessman Sir Sohan Roy acquire Harare Hurricanes team in the Zim Afro T10 set to commence from July 20

A feast from Lanka Premier League 2023 for cricket fans in the MENA region, India, and subcontinent