Samson’s breezy ton, Lloyd’s prophecy, and Gomes: the ‘Six Appeal’ mentor

By K.R. Nayar 

Following a cricketer with immense talent is always a delight. The journey with such a player often brings fond memories. Reports on the player can also play a role in boosting their career. All of the above relates to Sanju Samson. It was heartening to see praises being heaped on Samson after he smashed a breezy 111 off just 47 balls for India against Bangladesh in Hyderabad.

 


When television reporters asked him about the five sixes he hit in one over, he responded: “My mentor told me, ‘You have to hit five sixes in one over, and I’m waiting for that.’ I was chasing it, and it happened today.” The mentor he referred to was Raiphi Vincent Gomes, who had once hit five sixes in an over for Kerala against a star-studded Hyderabad team in the 2010 Subbaiah Pillai One Day tournament. Since I am always on the alert for such exceptional moments, I had reached out to Gomes after that knock and written a story for Gulf News. The headline for the piece was “Kerala batsman Gomes' six appeal.” At the time, Samson was just a 15-year-old boy, but Gomes’ feat left a lasting impression on him.

 

My story on Raiphi Vincent Gomes feat for Gulf News

As soon as Samson mentioned Gomes on television, many people called and messaged Gomes. In fact, this prompted many to recall Gomes’ achievement and congratulate him. In response, Gomes posted the story I had written about him back in 2010. S. Santosh, a former Kerala all-rounder now living in Dubai, also received my story and he forwarded Gomes’ post to me.

There have been numerous instances where articles and reports are saved by players, and they resurface years later. This instance occurred because I have consistently followed the performances of exceptionally talented players and written special stories about their achievements, whether it be a hat-trick, quick double centuries, or brilliant bowling spells.

 


Sanju Samson after his century in the 2014 Under-19 Asia Cup 

I feel proud and consider myself fortunate to have covered many of Samson’s brilliant innings. He hails from my hometown, Trivandrum, and whenever he performs well, it fills me with pride.

 I have witnessed Samson’s first century in a final in the 2014 Under-19 Asia Cup in Sharjah. At that time, I had him autograph a few of my reports on him, as it was clear this teenager would go far in international cricket. The following year, in 2015, he made his debut for India in a T20 International match against Zimbabwe in Harare.

 


In one interview with Samson, after he led Rajasthan to victory over Chennai in the IPL with a flurry of sixes, I had asked him where he gets the confidence to hit such shots. His reply was: “I always remind myself of my name. Samson was considered the strongest man in the world (according to the Bible). I keep reminding myself of that, and that I am very strong and can hit sixes.”

 

During the recent T20 World Cup in Barbados, when Clive Lloyd was asked who he thinks is the best batsman in the world today, he had named Samson. I had shared Lloyd’s comment on the Malayalam channel Janam TV. According to Lloyd: “Samson is the best batsman in the world and should have been in the (World Cup) playing eleven. I am really surprised he was not considered for the matches.”

 

With Clive Lloyd in Barbados when he spoke about Sanju Samson to Janam TV

Lloyd’s prediction seems to have been validated by Samson’s stunning knock against Bangladesh, and I believe many more such innings from him will follow. His ability to dismantle bowling attacks makes me wonder at times if he could be the ‘Viv Richards of the Indian team’.

 

Comments

  1. Sir Clive Lloyd saying this is WOW! Hope Selectors seal his place in Playing XI as 'Viv' of the Indian Team....deservingly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UAE’s richest domestic cricket tournament launched through a 100-ball format in Sharjah

Remembering the first girl to play cricket in the UAE as the country hosts its first Women’s World Cup

A 25kg cricket book and Ashwin’s 100th Test match ball at Shyam Bhatia’s museum