When I reported the first ICC Women’s T20 World Cup at the Lord’s in 2009

By K.R. Nayar
From Sharjah Cricket Stadium

When I sit down to report on the ninth edition of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, my memory takes me back to when I had covered the very first edition of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in 2009. The final, held at Lord’s, was played between England and New Zealand, with England winning by six wickets to lift the Women’s World Cup for the first time. This was before Australia began to dominate the tournament.

My report on the final of the first edition of the ICC Women's T20 tournament from Lord's  

England had outplayed Australia in the semifinal at The Oval, winning by eight wickets, while New Zealand beat India by 52 runs at Trent Bridge.

ICC's official souvenir in pink published before the final  

The build-up to the women’s final was exciting, with the ICC releasing a colorful official souvenir in pink, featuring stories of the semifinal clashes. Fifteen years ago, the women’s final used to be held alongside the men’s final. In that year, Pakistan and Sri Lanka played in the men’s final, with Pakistan, led by Younis Khan, emerging as the champions.

Every final has its hero, and the player of the match in the women’s final was Katherine Sciver Brunt. A full-time cricket coach as well, her remarkable spell of three wickets for just six runs bowled New Zealand out for 85 runs in 20 overs. England chased down the target in 17 overs, winning by eight wickets.

Beating the overweight challenge

Those were the days when fans were eager to learn more about the women who played brilliantly. More than match reports, readers were drawn to interesting stories about the players. Brunt, who won the Player of the Final award, had one such story. As a teenager, her cricketing career had nearly ended because she was overweight. A talented pacer who had represented Yorkshire at the Under-15 and Under-17 levels, she quit the sport for two years. However, she was inspired by her sister, who had lost weight and become fitter. Brunt decided to follow her sister’s example and returned to cricket.

It is said that after her intense weight loss journey through diet and exercise, her colleagues barely recognized the fitter version of Brunt. She went on to take 51 Test wickets, 171 ODI wickets, and 120 T20 International wickets. After leading England to their World Cup victory, she continued playing until 2023.

Brief scores o
f the first two matches on the opening day of ICC Women’s T20 tournament 2024 at Sharjah:

Bangladesh bt Scotland by 16 runs. Bangladesh 119/7 in 20 overs (Sobhana Mostary 36, Shtahi Rani 29; Saskia Horley 3/13) Scotland 103/7 in 20 overs (Sarah Bryce 49 not out, Kathryn Bryce 11; Ritu Moni 2/15 )

Pakistan bt Sri Lanka by 31 runs. Pakistan 116 all out in 20 overs (Fatima Sana 30, Nida Dar 23; Chamari Athapaththu 3/18, Sugandika Kumari 3/19, Udeshika Prabodhani 3/20) Sri Lanka 85/9 in 20 overs (Nilakshika Silva 22, Vishmi Gunaratne 20; Sadia Iqbal 3/17, Fatima Sana 2/10, Nashra Sandhu 2/15, Omaima Sohail 2/17)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UAE’s richest domestic cricket tournament launched through a 100-ball format in Sharjah

Remembering the first girl to play cricket in the UAE as the country hosts its first Women’s World Cup

A 25kg cricket book and Ashwin’s 100th Test match ball at Shyam Bhatia’s museum